Our dogs have their own distinct smell that no matter how hard we try bathing them, their unique scent would often stand out. If you happen to be one of those people who are bothered by their scent, you can always buy a dog cologne.
These dog colognes or deodorant are relatively cheaper and available in all pet shops nationwide. Many pet grooming shops have been using these colognes whenever they groom dogs of various breed.
If you happen to smell it on your dog, then you can always ask dog cologne recommendations from them. But if you happen to have a dog that doesn’t need a lot of heavy grooming, right down below are some of the tips on how you can choose the best dog cologne for your dog.
How to Choose The Best Dog Cologne
Choose one with natural ingredients
When choosing the best dog cologne for your dogs, always go with the ones that are scented with natural oils. Some chemical-based colognes can be harmful to your dog’s skin. This chemically made scents can cause allergies and even possible skin infections.
Choose the scent wisely
Dogs have an amazing sense of smell. When choosing the best perfume for them, make sure to choose the ones that are calming. This type of scent allows them to be in a more relaxed state. Remember, dogs react on scent really well. It can trigger different behavior. Hence, it is best that you check out which scent smells wonderful for you without triggering your dog’s behavior. Here are some of the scents that you should consider on your dog
One of the scents that you should consider is lavender. It helps your dog to be in a calm state and ease his nervousness as well. If you happen to have a very anxious dog, you can always consider using lavender. Aside from that, it doesn’t just help your dog, but it can also ease your stress level.
Another scent that you should consider is orange. This citrusy scent is often associated with summer, happiness, and warmth. It is also ideal for dogs with nervous digestive problems. The orange scent can easily calm their stomach and stimulate their lymphatic system.
If your pup is currently training and has a hard time focusing, opt for a lemongrass scent. Aside from its tangy smell, it keeps your dog focused on his task. It also helps repel fleas and ticks from his coat and relieves your dog’s abdominal muscles.
Chamomile is another wonderful scent that you want to consider. Aside from its calming effect, it also helps ease irritability and impatience. If you are currently raising a puppy, this scent would be a perfect choice.
Cedar is a perfect scent for dogs who are prone to fleas and ticks. Its woodsy scent can easily repel ticks and fleas. It also keeps your dog mentally focused when training and promotes positivity when training and rehabilitation.
Once you have chosen the best dog deodorant for your dog, you need to test it on yourself before giving it to them. Some products that often react on the human skin might also be a sign that the cologne or deodorant you bought is not suitable for your dog.
8 Best Dog Colognes and Deodorants
Wahl Dog/Pet Deodorant Spray
Fresh and Fragrant Scent Made From Plant-derived Ingredients
The Wahl spray is considered one of the best dog deodorants because of the ingredients used to manufacture it. The company made sure to only use raw materials that are safe for dogs. They offer several scents like chamomile, eucalyptus, coconut, and lemongrass. It’s also a specialized cologne for dogs with sensitive skin.
Why We Like It:
- The Scents used are from plant-based natural oil
- It can be used on different kinds of coats
- It keeps coats clean and moisturized
Bohdi Dog Natural Pet Cologne
All-natural Formulation With Deodorizing and Conditioning Properties
The Bohdi Dog Natural Pet cologne is one of the most highly recommended scents by veterinarians and groomers. It has the powder scent that can easily repel the musky and stinky smell of your dog. It can be applied to any types of coats and is safe for dogs with sensitive skin.
Why We Like It:
- Aside from the soothing scent, it also helps keep your dog’s coat soft and smooth
- It can be used even if your dog is currently on a flea and tick treatment
- The perfume is non-toxic even if you don’t wash off your dog’s perfume
Lambert Kay Fresh Floral Scent Grooming Pet Cologne
Fresh Floral Scent That Last for Days
This dog perfume is a little expensive compared to the other ones available on the market. However, one of the good things about this dog perfume is that it’s long lasting. Its floral scent can last more than 2-3 days, making it a perfect cologne for use in between baths.
Why We Like It:
- The smell lasts longer
- It comes in an aerosol can which makes it easier for the scent to diffuse on your dog
- It works on any types of coats
Earthbath All Natural Deodorizing Spritz
100% Cruelty-free and Organic Formulation
This dog perfume is not just a deodorant but is also used to keep the coat clean and soft. Also, it is made using only natural products. It has zero alcohol and uses ionized water instead. Lastly, it is free of any chemicals and other synthetic materials.
Why We Like It:
- It comes with several scents
- It can be used as a detangler to keep the tangles off your dog’s coat
- The scent can last 2-3 days after application
Gerrard Larriett Aromatherapy Pet Care Freshening & Shining Spray
Gentle, Safe, and Amazing Therapeutic
One of the best things about this perfume is that it’s very calming. It’s made from a combination of chamomile and lavender which helps your dogs to calm down. Its scent is very subtle, making your dog smelling floral clean.
Why We Like It:
- It doesn’t contain any paraben and alcohol
- It is recommended by most veterinarians
- The perfume can make your dog’s coat shiny and easy to brush
Crazy Dog Grooming Spray for Dogs
An Exotic Yet Fun Way of Grooming Your Pet
Unlike the other scents, the Crazy Dog spray has the most unique smell with its fruity Caribbean scent. It comes with a mixture of pineapple, coconut, and other tropical fruits. The smell can last for days and can easily remove the stinky smell on your dog.
Why We Like It:
- It’s packed with moisturizer which is good for your dog’s skin and coat
- Perfect for all types of coats, even on sensitive skin
- It can last for at least one week on short haired dogs
Tropiclean Freshen Up Cologne
Refreshing Formulation Ideal for Puppies
The Tropiclean cologne is considered one of the best dog deodorants because of its all organic materials. It’s safe to use on cats and dogs. Its fresh smell eliminates the stinky odor that your dogs have. It doesn’t have any residue when sprayed on your dog.
Why We Like It:
- It can be used for cats as well
- It works best for your puppies
Fresh N Clean Finishing Spray
An All-organic Spray to Freshen Up Your Pet
The Fresh N Clean spray comes with a subtle powdery scent. One of the best things about it is that it doesn’t just keep your dogs from smelling like a wet dog, but it also has protein which helps keep your dog’s coat healthy and soft.
Why We Like It:
- It can last up to 2-7 days
- It smoothens your dog’s coats and removes tangles
How to wash your dog the right way?
Most dogs don’t usually take a bath. However, there are some ways that you can do to bath your dog without scaring him on the process. They are as follows:
- Get a tub and fill it with warm water. The water should be at knee length. Gently place your dog into the water. Get a treat and talk to your dog in a calm manner. This way, he will not move so much on the water.
- From there, slowly introduce your grooming tools like combs, brush, clippers etc. Doing so will help your dog get used to the form, smell, and sound of these tools.
- To get your dog get used to the water, gently spray water from his hindquarters. Continue talking in a calming manner. Talking can help ease your dog’s anxiety.
- Get a dipper and slowly pour water on your dog’s body. Tilt your dog’s head up so that the water will not get into his face.
- Grab a clean washcloth and slowly wipe the areas around the nose, mouth, and eyes. Do not clean his ears. You need a veterinarian’s help to clean that sensitive area.
- Then, wash the top of the head then slowly move down to the neck, chest, then his back. If your dog starts to feel comfortable, move your hand and wash the head and tail to remove fleas and ticks.
- Grab your dog’s shampoo and apply a line of it on your dog’s back. Slowly massage your dog’s fur until the shampoo is going to create a lather. Wash the legs and tummy as you slowly move from the head and down towards the tails. Use a soft-bristled brush to clean the areas around the paws and pads.
- Rinse your pet with warm water starting from the top of his head. Cover the area above the eye to avoid water and soap going into your dog’s eye.
- Then, rinse the whole body until the water is clear from suds. Knead your dog’s fur to ensure that all the suds are removed. Don’t forget to rinse the suds around the toes and paw pads (you may also want to use paw balm).
- Once you’re done with the rinse, step back and allow your dog to shake off the water from his fur. It might take a while before he can shake off all the water out of his fur.
- Get a towel and towel dry your dog. Start with the head and slowly move down to the other parts of his body.
- Don’t forget to give your dog a treat. This way, he will know that he had been a good boy throughout his bath.
Q: Are dog colognes safe?
A: Dog colognes are safe to use on your dogs. They are made of organic products that are alcohol and paraben-free. You can use them daily depending on the scent of your dog. If your dog happens to have a sensitive skin, make sure to ask your veterinarian for a recommendation first.
Q: Can dog colognes cause allergy?
A: It is possible. There are some dogs that have a sensitive skin. Before buying a dog cologne or deodorant, make sure to check the ingredients used by the manufacturer. Aside from that, contact your veterinarian in case allergies occur.
Q: How often can I use dog cologne?
A: You can use it as often as you can. You can use it in between baths or every day. Make sure that you follow the right spraying techniques to ensure that your dog will be smelling good throughout the week.
Don’t settle for less when it comes to the hygiene of your dogs. They deserve the love and care that we need too. To give your dogs the finest and non-allergic scent they can get, try to consider the products we have included in our selection.
Good Dogs Co
11 Best Flea and Tick Treatment and Prevention for Dogs in 2018
- Wahl Dog/Pet Deodorant Spray
- Bohdi Dog Natural Pet Cologne
- Lambert Kay Fresh Floral Scent Grooming Pet Cologne
- Earthbath All Natural Deodorizing Spritz
- Gerrard Larriett Aromatherapy Pet Care Freshening & Shining Spray
- Crazy Dog Grooming Spray for Dogs
- Tropiclean Freshen Up Cologne
- Fresh N Clean Finishing Spray