9 Best Chew Toys for Puppies in 2020
Puppies are hardwired to chew on stuff from the moment they’re born. The urge becomes even stronger as they undergo the teething phase. While it may sound alarming, it’s actually a natural process.
This doesn’t mean, however, that you just have to let your cute furry friend chew on almost any stuff you have. Not only can it ruin your things, but it can also pose some serious health risks especially if he happens to choke on small parts.
This is why you need to buy the best chew toys for puppies to give your cute little friends something they can chew and play on. Without further ado, here’s a quick guide to choosing the best chew toy for your pup along with a few of our top recommended picks:
How to Choose Toys for Puppies
In most cases, picking dog toys for your puppies can be a hit or miss. Fortunately, you can avoid that from happening by knowing what to consider. They are as follows:
Your puppy’s age
Technically, any young dog that’s below 12 months is considered a puppy. However, you should know what specific stage your puppy is currently in. Even younger puppies have smaller mouths, which is why giving them smaller chew toys is ideal. Older puppies, on the other hand, will have larger mouths thus requiring chew toys that are appropriately sized for them.
His chewing behavior
Another important thing to consider is your puppy’s chewing behavior. If your puppy is a heavy chewer, chances are his chew toys won’t last for long. You should also remember that puppies on their teething phase are more aggressive chewers due to the associated pain and inflammation in their oral cavities. If your puppy is a young heavy chewer, it’d be ideal to get a chew toy that’s made of either rubber or nylon.
You should also keep in mind your dog’s personality. Basically, there are three which are as follows:
- Destroyer – as the name implies, dogs who belong to this category are bent on destroying everything they can get their mouths on. However, they may or may not swallow everything they destroy, hence you have to be careful as there can be an overlap between a dog who is a destroyer and one who is an inhaler.
- Inhaler – this refers to dogs who tend to bite off huge chunks of edible chews then swallow those chunks as quickly as possible. They’re also coined as “gulpers”.
- Nibbler – a nibbler is a peace-loving dog personality. Dogs in this category are the complete opposite of a destroyer and are technically lovers, not fighters. Hence, they take their time savoring and chewing their toys while also taking care of them as opposed to a destroyer.
Flavor of the toy
It can be sometimes tricky to get your puppy to chew on his new toy. This is why you have to consider the flavor when choosing one. It’s a good idea to pick a chew toy which has a flavor that your puppy will surely love. This way, he won’t have a hard time getting used to his new toy.
Your pup’s breed
You should also think of your pup’s breed. Pups that belong to giant breeds can already reach the full-grown adult size comparable to a dog of a small breed. Although they are still a few months old, the size of their mouth can already be big enough. Therefore, it’s best to pick a chew toy that can match the breed of your little pal.
As mentioned earlier, it won’t be long before your chew toy will get destroyed due to your puppy’s chewing power and behavior. Therefore, choosing a product that is made of durable materials is important. This will keep it from breaking into tiny parts which can pose a serious threat to your pet, especially when these parts get into his digestive tract.
The toy’s softness and toughness
You want to pick a chew toy that’s tough enough to allow it to last despite your puppy’s aggressive chewing behavior. However, you should also consider choosing one that’s soft enough for him to chew on. In other words, you should pick a chew toy that has a good balance between softness and toughness. Make sure it’s neither too soft nor too tough.
What Chew Toys to Avoid in Case of Puppies
Not all chew toys are created equal. Which is why you have to be careful when choosing a chew toy for your little furry friend. To make it easier, you need to know which toys you should stay away from. These are the following:
- Toys with BPA – BPA is a toxic chemical which can be found in cheap dog toys. Studies have already confirmed its hazards even in very little quantities. Make sure you avoid toys with this chemical at all costs.
- Inappropriately sized toys – you need to pick the right sized toy for your pups. Don’t pick toys that are too small for your dog. You don’t want your puppy to swallow those toys as it can only lead to choking hazards. As a rule of thumb, make sure you pick one that is big enough that it can’t fit whole in your puppy’s mouth but not too big so the puppy can’t play with it.
- Toys containing too many parts – although toys that contain moving parts are rare, they need to be avoided at all costs as they can lead to a choking hazard if your puppy ends up swallowing those parts.
- Children’s toys – while you might be tempted to purchase a children’s toy for your puppy as it costs less, you should avoid doing so. Puppy’s chew toys are made using different standards. They are meant to be safely chewed, while children’s toys are not!
- Cheap toys that have squeakers – although squeaky toys aren’t dangerous, cheap ones can be, especially for your puppy. As they can be easily torn apart, your pet may eat the squeaker which can be quite dangerous.
- Cooked real bones – cooked bones can easily break into small pieces that can damage the inner lining of your puppy’s digestive tract over time.
- Toys with sharp metal parts – needless to say, your puppy may end up swallowing these parts, causing major damage to his digestive tract.
9 Best Chew Toys for Puppies
KONG PUPPY Durable Rubber Chew and Treat Toy
One of the Best-selling Chewable in the Market
KONG is no doubt one of the leading brands when it comes to making toys. One of their best-selling chew toys for dogs are these gourd-shaped toys. Aside from being an appropriately sized for puppies, they also feature an open center where you can place some treats.
They can also take on a heavy chewing and even withstand the most powerful bites a puppy can muster. The material used is rubber, making them capable of withstanding years of abuse. Albeit not completely indestructible, rest assured they are a safe and durable option for your little friends.
Why We Like It:
- Soft yet almost indestructible construction
- Can be filled with treats
- Fun design
Nylabone Just for Puppies Key Ring
Probably the Softest Chew Toy You Can Find
If you’re looking for a tough yet soft chew toy for your puppy, we recommend this key ring from Nylabone. It comes with raised bristles which are useful for cleaning your puppy’s teeth while preventing the buildup of tartar at the same time.
Due to its soft construction, it’s ideal for puppies who are not heavy chewers. However, as your puppy grows older and reaches the teething stage, you might want to replace it with a harder one. Regardless, when it comes to soft chew toys, this one is surely an excellent pick!
Why We Like It:
- Its soft construction makes it ideal for chewing
- The raised bristles help keep your puppy’s teeth clean
Benebone Real Flavor Wishbone Dog Chew Toy
Real Flavored Chewable for Some Real Chewing
Aside from this toy’s wishbone design, which is a good-looking treat for most dogs, the Benebone chew toy also comes with real flavors in it. It’s no wonder why it’s one of the most popular chew toys on the market. As it’s made of nylon, you can expect it to last for a long time.
Additionally, it comes in three different flavors for your puppy to enjoy: bacon, chicken, and peanut butter. Lastly, while its texture might feel like rawhide, it’s actually way stronger than that.
Why We Like It:
- It’s made of a high quality and strong nylon
- The toy’s real flavors are a real treat for your pups
- Its wishbone design is really appealing
N-Bone Puppy Teething Ring
Chicken-flavored Chewable for a Tasty Treat
Albeit edible, this teething ring sure has proven itself to be tough and long-lasting enough. However, unlike the other products on this list, this one’s digestible and packed with extra calcium that will help your puppy during his teething phase.
Needless to say, the rings won’t last for long as your puppy will end up swallowing them. It’s available in chicken flavor, although you can find a pumpkin variant as well.
Why We Like It:
- Available in a fun shape your puppy will enjoy
- Comes with low fat and no gluten
- Enriched with Omega 3 fatty acids
KONG Puppy Goodie Bone
Bone-shaped Design for an Enhanced Grip
Another quality product from Kong, this one comes in a bone-shaped design for your puppy to enjoy. Due to its shape, your puppy can grip it easily, allowing him to really go down on chewing compared to other toys which can be hard for puppies to properly get a grip on.
However, just like most of Kong’s toys, the most prominent feature of this goodie bone is the fact that you can stuff some tasty treats inside for your puppy to enjoy.
Why We Like It:
- Made of Kong’s quality rubber, making it safe and durable for your puppy
- Comes in blue and pink colors
Nylabone Puppy Chew X Bone
An X-pectacular and Durable Treat
Another quality chew toy from Nylabone, this X-shaped chewable is designed for puppies weighing up to 15 pounds. It’s designed to withstand destructive chewing due to its durable construction. It also comes with a beef flavor, making it irresistibly delicious for your little friend.
Why We Like It:
- It’s durable enough to last for a long period of time
- It effectively prevents your puppy’s destructive chewing behavior
Mammoth Flossy Chews Cottonblend Color 3-Knot Rope Tug
Seemingly Indestructible and Chewable Rope
Quality is surely one thing you have to consider when going for a rope toy for your puppy to chew on. After all, you don’t want fibers coming off in his mouth. Fortunately, that’s exactly what this rope tug from Mammoth Flossy Chews is.
The rope is made of a high-quality material, making it durable and almost impossible for your little friend to destroy. The best part is, it also flosses the teeth of your puppy while chewing on it. As a result, his gums and teeth will stay healthy. For a cooling effect, you can also choose to soak it in water then freeze overnight.
Why We Like It:
- Comes in 7 different sizes
- Assorted colors which your puppy will surely find appealing
- Durable and high-quality construction to prevent tearing
Nylabone Dinosaur Dental Chew Toy
Exciting Chewable in a Fun Design
Also from Nylabone, this dinosaur-shaped chew toy is the perfect toy for your pet. With its unique and fun design, you can surely have a more enjoyable way to deal with your puppy’s chewing behavior.
One of the best parts about this toy is that it comes in chicken flavor, making it a really tempting chew toy for your pet. Aside from that, it comes with nubs which act as bristles for cleaning bacteria and plaque on your puppy’s teeth.
Why We Like It:
- Features a fun and unique design
- Designed specifically for the power chewers
- Ideal for puppies below 50 pounds
- Dental nubs provide cleaning on your pup’s teeth
Benebone Tiny Puppy Dog Chew Toys Maplestick/Zaggler
Firm But Forgiving For Tiny Doggo Teef
It can be challenging to find a chew toy for little puppies for fear of them choking, or damaging their growing teeth. Luckily, the Benebone Tiny Puppy Dog Chews help you to support your teething puppy safely, with smartly designed products made and sourced in the USA.
Puppies will be able to easily pick up the lightweight, compact chew toys which come in two distinct shapes. One shape is of a ‘zaggler’ which is a bit like a thick, ridged handle with a thick disc in the middle. The other shape is a stick with two thick prongs at either end. The shapes help puppy grip and grab the toys with their mouths and paws easily, for optimum chewing and strengthening of the teeth.
Your tiny new pooch will adore the 100% real bacon flavoring in the Zaggler, which stimulates their senses and encourages endless enjoyable chewing sessions. The popular Maplestick has real wood flavoring, playing to that natural want to pick up and chew sticks in the woods.
Owners conscious of the origins of their pet products will love that the Benebone chewers are made, and sourced completely in the USA.
Why We Like It:
- Delicious, real flavorings in both products
- Firm but forgiving for pups’ teeth
- Easy for pups to pick up
What We Don’t Like:
- May still be too big for XS pups
- May not be suitable for particularly destructive chewers
Q: When to start giving chew toys to a puppy?
A: Ideally, you want to give your puppy a chew toy once he starts teething. During this period, he’ll develop a strong urge to chew on almost anything. This is natural, but giving your pet a fun toy can keep him from chewing on your valuables. This way, you can give him a relief while keeping it fun and enjoyable at the same time.
Q: Are chew toys safe?
A: Generally, chew toys are safe considering that they are intended for chewing purposes. However, not all of them are. Some chew toys on the market contain toxic chemicals which can be hazardous to your pet’s health. There are also some that have many tiny parts which can pose a choking hazard if they get swallowed by your puppy. Needless to say, they are the ones you want to avoid.
Q: How do I keep the puppy interested in chew toys?
A: In some cases, your puppy will get bored of his toy, prompting him to look for another stuff to chew on. Fortunately, this can be circumvented with the help of a few methods. One involves using interactive dog toys that are designed to keep dogs entertained. A good example is puzzle toys which can be stuffed with a treat. Another is to store the toy on the freezer, making it a cold toy for your pet to chew on. This actually helps relieve pain from inflammation brought on by teething.
Puppies normally have a hard time when they undergo the teething process. However, it doesn’t have to happen to your valuables as well. By picking the best chew toys for puppies, you can keep your little friend from ruining your stuff while keeping him entertained at the same time.
Good Dogs Co
- KONG PUPPY Durable Rubber Chew and Treat Toy
- Nylabone Just for Puppies Key Ring
- Benebone Real Flavor Wishbone Dog Chew Toy
- N-Bone Puppy Teething Ring
- KONG Puppy Goodie Bone
- Nylabone Puppy Chew X Bone
- Mammoth Flossy Chews Cottonblend Color 3-Knot Rope Tug
- Nylabone Dinosaur Dental Chew Toy
- Benebone Tiny Puppy Dog Chew Toys Maplestick/Zaggler